Am I an Australian Resident for Tax Purposes?

How to find out, how it affects you, and what to do if your residency status changes

How to determine your residency, how it affects you, and what to do if it changes

If you’re a working holidaymaker visiting Australia, you’ll probably need to file taxes. But before you can lodge your return with the ATO, or even prepare it, you’ll first have to figure out if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes.

Who qualifies as a resident?

Residency for tax purposes is different from immigration residency, so you’ll have to make a fresh determination when you do your taxes. Even if you are the citizen of a foreign country you may, in fact, qualify as an Australian resident for tax purposes.

You are a resident for tax purposes if you

  • have always lived in Australia
  • moved to Australia and now live here permanently
  • have been in Australia continuously for six months or more and for most of that time you worked the same job and lived in the same place
  • have been in Australia for more than half of the financial year, unless
    • your usual home is overseas, and
    • you do not intend to live in Australia
  • go overseas temporarily and you do not set up a permanent home in another country, or
  • you are an overseas student who has come to Australia to study and are enrolled in a course that is more than six months long.

The Determination of Residency tool on the ATO site can help you make the determination if there’s any ambiguity.

It’s a good idea to figure out your residency status early on so you can make sure your employer is withholding taxes at the appropriate rate.

What difference does it make?

Residency makes a big difference in terms of how you are taxed.

First off, residents are taxed on their worldwide income. Nonresidents, on the other hand, are taxed only on their income from Australian sources.

Residency also changes the tax rate you have to pay. Starting on 1 July 2012, the marginal tax rate for Australian nonresidents earning less than $37,000 will shoot up from 15% to a whopping 32.5%. This means that all Australian nonresidents making less than $80,000 are taxed at 32.5%.

Australian residents, by contrast, aren’t taxed at all beneath an income threshold of $6,000, are taxed at 15% between $6,001 and $37,000, and at 30% between $37,001 and $80,000. So, Australian residency can be quite advantageous from a tax perspective.

What if my residency changes?

It’s not uncommon for people who begin the financial year as nonresidents to become residents halfway through. If that’s the case, answer “Yes” on your return to the question, “Are you an Australian resident?”

Your income will be taxed at the same rate as an Australian resident, but because you were a nonresident for part of the year, you will be taxed at a lower tax-free threshold. You are entitled to a pro-rata tax-free threshold for the number of months you were an Australian resident.

Don’t forget, nonresidents don’t have to pay the Medicare levy, so you can claim an exemption for the number of days that you were a nonresident. Also, once you officially become an Australian resident, you will need to declare the worldwide income you receive from the time you become a resident.

E-Lodge makes doing taxes easy for residents and non-residents. Not only that, but most online tax sites don’t offer international bank transfer. With E-Lodge, you can even have your refund deposited into a foreign bank account!

Photo via paul bica on Flickr.

Tags: ,

68 Responses to “Am I an Australian Resident for Tax Purposes?”

  1. Ryan says:

    What is the difference between a foreign resident for tax purposes, an Australian resident for tax purposes and a non Austrlian resident for tax purposes?

  2. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Ryan,

    A foreign resident for tax purposes and a nonresident for tax purposes are the same thing. Generally the ATO will refer to these people as nonresidents. The biggest difference between nonresidents and residents is that they are taxed at different rates. Nonresidents do not get to take advantage of the tax-free threshold, which exempts your first $18,200 of income from taxes, so they tend to owe more than residents in comparable situations.

  3. Dawn says:

    My son has been living in Canada for a number of years. He recently found out that he needed to do a tax return for a couple of years ago when he had been working there for a few months then travelled overseas for a few months arriving here in November 2010. He then worked here until June 2011. He did the July 10- June 11 tax return and then it was claimed what he earned in late 2009/early 2010 in Canada should have been included in his 2011 Australian tax return. He has sorted that out with the tax department here but can’t get a clear idea on whether he has to do a 2012 and 2013 tax return for Australia. He has not resided in Australia in those years as he left here in June 2011 and has only worked in Canada during those two financial years. Does he have to do an Australian tax return for these years?

    It is very hard for him to contact anyone and too expensive to keep trying to phone.


  4. Tax Advisor says:


    As you most likely know, the ATO sets regulations on who needs to lodge and who does not. To be sure if he does or does not have to lodge, I suggest going directly to the ATO website. The following link will help you;

    On that page, under “Work it out”, the ATO provides a helpful tool called “Do I need to lodge a tax return?” tool. By using this tool, your question should be answered.

  5. Holly says:


    My boyfriend is having a lot of problems with claiming back his Australian tax. He went out there on a year working holiday visa working in numerous places in Sydney and Melbourne. When he arrived back to the UK, he applied to get his tax back and he was chosen by the Australian tax people for review. After months of hearing nothing, he was told he had to provide evidence that he had lived in one place for six months or more otherwise he would not receive a penny of his tax back. This is problem because he did not live anywhere for more than six months, let alone have a utility bill or bank statement to prove it.

    I think it is ridiculous seeing as a lot of people who are on a working holiday visa do not stay in the same place for more than six months. And just because he was chosen for review, he has been screwed over. I have done a lot of research and can’t find anything at all to help. Do you have any advice?

    Thank you, Holly

  6. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Holly,

    The reason for this problem is because your boyfriend most likely marked he was a resident on his tax return, when he maybe shouldn’t have. Residency for tax purposes does not mean citizenship. In order to be a resident for tax purposes in Australia, you need to live in Australia for more than half of the income year and you will be able to take advantage of the tax-free threshold. If your boyfriend lived in the UK for six months and in Australia for six months and claimed he was an Australian tax resident, this probably raised a red flag to the ATO.

    Hope that helps!

  7. May says:

    I have the same issue as Holly’s boyfriend.

    Her boyfriend was in Australia FOR A YEAR but didn’t stay at the same address for more than six months. He was on a holiday visa. Of course he would travel around Australia.

    I work in VFX and 90% of jobs are short contracts. I was in Australia for 11 months and moved from Sydney to Melbourne and then to Brisbane due to work. My tax rate remained at 29% because I wasn’t at the same address for longer than 6 months even though I was in Australia the whole time.

  8. Zandra says:

    I am under my husbands visa which is 457 visa and i am working now for casual. The company gave me tax decleration form to be filled up by me. Do i answer yes to the question there that-Are you an australian resident for tax purposes?-even if we are not yet a permanent residence in australia?we are going to apply for pr this year.thank you

  9. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Zandra,
    Generally, if you have lived in Australia for more than 6 months, you are considered an Australian resident for tax purposes. However, I suggest using the ATO Residency Calculator to better determine if you are considered a resident for tax purposes or not.

  10. Jo says:

    Hi, my partner and I are currently living and working In Australia. We are staying in the same place living with the family I am au pairing for and have got a consistent job which we intend to keep until we leave so my partner is being taxed as a resident which is great. However there is a chance we may have to go home a bit earlier than expected which would mean we were only here for 5 months not 6. What will this mean for her tax? Will she still be able to claim the tax back as a resident would? Thanks

  11. Jennifer Sheppard says:

    I am an Australian resident, born here. I have only worked for five and a half months of this financial year. Do I get most of my tax back.Thankyou

  12. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Jennifer,

    I suggest referring to the ATO Tax Calculator to determine your estimated refund amount or estimated amount due.

  13. Linda says:

    I migrated to Australia many years ago. I lived and worked here and was resident taxpayer. I am now retired and am planning to travel for most of the next financial year. …..perhaps 8-9 months away intermittently visiting my birth country and other countries.
    Will I be qualified as a non-resident taxpayer? Thank you.

  14. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Linda,

    I suggest referring to the ATO website’s “Going Overseas” section. This will be able to provide you further information about filing as a resident or not.

  15. Zoe says:

    I live in Australia but will be out of the country for 250 days this financial year. I will have both income earned in Australia, and income paid to me by an Australian company, for work done outside Australia. Am I a “resident for tax purposes” ?

  16. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Zoe,

    I suggest taking a look at the ATO Residency tool to determine your residency for tax purposes based on your circumstances.

  17. David says:

    I’m originally from Australia, but I moved to the UK on a youth mobility visa with my wife last august.
    The visa goes for 2 years (so I’m just over half way now).
    I didn’t work at all in Australia for that financial year, but have been working in the UK since October.
    We are not sure when we will return, but we plan on returning in the second half of 2015.
    Am I considered an Australia tax resident still? Do I need to declare my UK tax income? Do I need to fill in a tax return at all?
    In regards to my wife, she worked for about a month and half in Australia for that financial year, and had a some tax withheld from her during that time. But hasn’t worked much whilst in the UK. How can this be claimed back? And the other questions also apply to her as well.
    I have asked a tax person back in Australia and he is getting mixed messages from his colleges, so I thought I would ask here.
    Thanks for the assistance.

  18. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi David,

    As far as figuring out if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes, I suggest taking a look at the ATO’s residency tool. When it comes to your wife claiming her tax back, she will need to lodge a tax return to do so.

  19. Luke says:

    I resided in Australia between 22 Sep – 29 March 2014. I resided in the same place to play cricket for a local club. During this time i had two jobs also. I lodged my tax return on my return to England and have been told not only am i not entitled to claim any tax back, but I now owe $147 which I must pay before 1 Dec or the amount increases. I have looked on the ATO website but am still struggling to understand the complexities of the ruling.
    Thanks for any assistance if you can help.

  20. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Luke,

    I suggest contacting the ATO directly. As you will see on their website, they strongly advise that you contact them if you believe that the amount you owe is incorrect.

  21. adam says:

    I am a non resident for tax purposes. I left oz 12 years ago. I plan to resign from my job and go travelling for a few years and live off my investments. As I won’t have a permanent address outside of Oz, will I become liable to pay tax to oz. I do not plan to return to oz for more than a month or two each year. I won’t use oz bank account and I have no assets in oz. Please advise if my tax status will change. Kind regards.

  22. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Adam,

    According to what you have stated above, you will still be considered a non resident for tax purposes.

  23. Guy says:

    I left australia 20 years ago, work and live in oversea. I return to oz once a year usually stay less than 3 weeks for family visit purpose. Please advise what is my tax status?

  24. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Guy,

    Based on what you have stated above, it seems as though you would be considered a foreign resident of Australia for tax purposes. Just to be sure, you may want to take a look at the Resident tool on the ATO website. This will allow you to answer a few specific questions and help determine your residency status. It should take you less than 5 minutes to complete. Once you are done with that, the next step would be to determine if you actually need to lodge a tax return this year. The ATO has a website application for that as well.

  25. rob says:

    I live and work in OZ. I do have some income from NZ , share dividends and a bit of interest. No more than $300. NZ tax year(Starts April) is different to OZ (Starts July). Can i just use the NZ issued interest Tax Statement to cover the OZ year. or do I have to work it to suit the OZ year.What about dividend ?

  26. Alex says:


    I’m Australian and run my online business from home – I buy goods from US suppliers and sell to customers in the US. Do I have to pay income tax and sales tax in the US or do I just pay my taxes in Australia? I similarly do the same in the UK so do I have to pay VAT and income tax in the UK?


  27. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Alex,

    This is a fairly complicated situation. In all likelihood, you would not be subject to U.S. tax on your sales seeing as there is a treaty between the U.S. and Australia. However, you are most likely subject to Australian tax seeing as ALL earned income in Australia is taxable. Consult the following documents on international tax for individuals and the treaty between both countries from the IRS.

    When it comes the UK, you should consider a similar situation to occur.

  28. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Rob,

    Depending on what type of share income and if you have any franking credits as well, you can report it with the AU tax year in mind. Also, refer to the ATO page HERE about reporting foreign source income. After reviewing this, it goes into more depth on other questions you may have.

  29. Toki says:


    I have been living in Australia for 2.5 years and working for 2 years with dependent student visa as a tax resident. I have just applied employer sponsorship visa and now I have bridging visa. I am thinking to sell my property in overseas and transfer the money to Australia. At the moment am I a tax resident or not. If I am a tax resident what s the tax amount for me?


  30. Tax Advisor says:

    Hi Toki,

    I am unable to determine your residency based solely on your comment above. My advice to you would be to take a look at the ATO’s website to work our your tax residency. There are several tests that must be met in order to qualify as an Australian resident for tax purposes, that of which are left unclear.

  31. Dida says:


    We are holding PR visa for 3 years but have not yet moved to Australia. We plan to bring our foreign provident funds to an Australian bank savings account to help us transition this year. Do we have to declare it to ATO?


  32. Laurie says:

    Have a new part time employee who has selected “No” to question 8 on her tax file declaration, being Äre you an Australian resident for tax purposes?”. Do we tax her wages on the normal “No tax free threshold”. She has stated that she has another part time position elsewhere. Want to be sure to tax her correctly.

    Thank you.

  33. Steve says:


    I am an Australian Citizen considering a role in South East Asia for which I will move to KL. My wife and kids for the time being will stay in Australia. I will be setting up permanent residence in KL and my family will come to visit me or vice versa. Am I considered an Australian Resident or Foreign Resident?


  34. Shelley Watson says:

    Hi I am struggling to get a clear answer from ATO as whether my husband will be a tax resident or foreign resident. We live permanently in NZ and are NZ permanent residents not yet citizens. My husband has been offered a job with an Australian based company but he will not at any point be working in Australia, it’s an IT company and he will be working remotely from home in NZ dealing with the company’s current NZ clients and onboarding more. I have contacted ATO to get some clarification as to the tax implications but i have not been able to get a clear direction. We need to establish the amount of tax he will be liable for in order for us to make a decision on taking up the offer or not as we do not want to be worse off financially. There is also the question on Superannuation as it is compulsory for employers to contribute to a super for employees how will that work if he/we are never going to be living in Australia. If you have any insight to these questions it would be appreciated.

  35. Amr says:


    I am immegrant and just landed at Sydney for 2 weeks and then returned back to my resident country that I employed there for two years . I have a permanent home and job at my resident country and I don’t have home at Australia. I don’t have a family members inside Australia.
    I just have a bank account at Australia and I am transferring my saving at this bank acccount. Please advice regarding my tax status

  36. West says:

    I am living in Japan and became a resident 3 years ago. I am a non resident for tax in Australia, my Australian assets are in Australia. I have earned a little money in Japan, (less than the tax free threshold, most is spent and and the remainder transferred to my wife’s JP bank account for vacations etc It remains in Japan, My Japanese wife is the main income and pays OUR tax. The Japan Tax Office is asking for information on my Australian interest and tax paid on my Australian money. So far I have refused to give that information.
    Do they have a right to get this information?
    do they have a right to ask for tax on the interest money I earned over many years in Australia?

    This money is from the sale of my home and for my retirement home in Australia where I intend to live soon. I am 56 years old this year.
    I am an average person and do not know all the laws and was not given or nor can I find this information.

    Thank you

  37. Tax Advisor says:

    Generally you will need to report any earned interest on your Bank account. Please refer to the ATO link Moving-to-Australia-permanently for additional information.

  38. Tax Advisor says:

    If your employee has indicated that they are not an Australia Resident for tax purposes, then they would not be qualified to claim the tax-free threshold. The threshold only applies to Australian residents, foreign residents must pay taxes on their entire income.

  39. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Amr,

    We recommend going to the ATO website directly determine your tax status. You may also contact your bank if there are interest rates applied to your income.

  40. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello West,

    Be advised that resident countries tax worldwide income. Your tax liability depends on your residency status. If you are a resident for Japan, all income including foreign income such as your assets in Australia are taxed. If you are a non-resident for Australia, you are taxed only on income from Australian sources.

  41. Tax Advisor says:

    To best determine whether you are a Australian resident or foreign resident for tax purposes, it would be best if you use the ATO website with their provided Residency Tool. However, it would be best if you consult with the company pertaining to how they will handle your superannuation.

  42. Tax Advisor says:

    Becoming a permanent resident of KL would change your filing status to a Foreign Resident for tax purposes. However you will still need to report any income that you earn from Australia to the ATO. This is applicable to you, and not your family, as those individual who have stayed in Australia will still be considered Australia Residents and not Foreign residents. The qualifications for residency are outlined within their International Residency Tax Page and how you will be affected by the change of status.

  43. Shai says:

    I am under 457 dependent visa and working here in AU for more than 9 months in the same company.Am i a foreign or australian resident on my tfn declaration and what do i need to tick on the question if i want to claim the tax free threshold?

  44. Tax Advisor says:

    If you are not planning on making Australia your home and if you have a permanent home elsewhere that you intend on moving back to, you would still be considered a foreign resident, and not an Australian resident. In order to gain the benefit of being able to claim the tax-free threshold, you must be considered an Australian Resident.

  45. Tom says:

    I left Australia last September, it was around 60 days I was in Australia for this financial year. Therefore, I am not Australian resident for the tax purposes, is that correct? I was a student over there.
    Thank you.

  46. Tax Advisor says:

    You are considered an Australian resident for tax purposes if you are an overseas student who went to Australia to study and are enrolled in a course that is more than six months long. If you are unsure of whether you are an AU resident for tax purposes, you can use the ATO’s Determination of Residency tool

  47. Tom says:

    I was a university student in Australia for 2 years, and I worked and stayed there for 60 days in the income year. Can I claim the tax free threshold for 2 months I was in Australia?

  48. james says:

    I have been living and working in australia for the past 12 years having emigrated from the uk. Due to a family member ilness i have decided to return to the uk for the entire 2017-18 tax year. i will not be working, and will be treating the time away as a holiday/visiting friends & relatives. I have an investment property which i will recieve income from (a motel business) but i currently don’t have a principal place of residence. my question is, will i been seen by the ATO as a resident for tax purposes or a non-resident for tax purposes?

  49. Jingle says:

    On e lodge, if she marks ‘no citizen’ the question: are u resident for tax purposes does not show.


  50. Tax Advisor says:

    You are still considered a resident for tax purposes unless you have the intention of no longer being an Australia resident. The income that you are earning in Australia will still be subjected to taxes regardless of whether you are there, however, since this is the only income that you are receiving in the financial year, you will just need to be concerned with filing with Australia.

  51. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello James,

    This depends on the status of your residency and how long you will be out of the country. In the case that you will be away for the entire tax year and are receiving income, you will be seen as a non-resident for tax purposes if you are away from 1 July to 30 June 2017.

  52. Jameson says:

    I , with family, came to Australia on PR from Srilanka. My family liked Australia ; so I took a rented accommodation for them and stayed with family for about 45 days and after settling them I went back to work as I have an employment contract (3 years). In addition , I have a home and I did not resign from work due to uncertainty in the job market. So, my settling down in Australia is uncertain.

    I visited my family for a week in October as my daughter was not well. After that visit , I came to Australia after 7 months since I have limited number of leave.

    My family is living in rented house. But we bought a house recently as joint owner ; because my wife is not working and she would not get loan. Although similar case referred in ATO website as non resident (, residency is still very subjective. What is your expert opinion?

  53. Morris Raiel says:

    Hi, I’ve been working and living in Australia from 12/15 to 12/2016 under working holiday scheme. In my last tax refund the ATO is asking to pay the 32.5 % tax because they are considering I’m not resident for Tax purposes. Is this correct?
    What can I do?

  54. Tax Advisor says:

    Some of the factors that the ATO takes into account to determine whether or not you are an Australian tax resident for tax purposes are your intention or purpose of presence. Family and business/employment ties, maintenance and location of assets, and social and living arrangements. This is further explained on the ATO’s website in the Residency portion.

  55. Tax Advisor says:

    To be considered an Australia resident for tax purposes, the ATO will evaluate your behavior as this is indicative to your residency. Even if you may not have the intention of staying permanently in Australia, you can still be considered a resident if you have moved over a large portion of your life over. You can also view more of an in-depth explanation on this matter on the ATO’s website.

  56. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Jingle,
    If an individual indicates they are not a citizen, E Lodge would ask the Visa type, date of arrival, date of departure and residency status. If you have questions and concerns feel free to phone us.

  57. Simona says:

    I arrived in Australia last year in October as a 6 months student. I worked part time as a beauty therapist. I left Australia on the 28th of april and I came back on the 28 may as a working holiday visa holder.
    I went to a tax agent and she told me i have to pay 2500$ back to the government. Is it normal?

  58. Tax Advisor says:

    This could be normal depending on your how much you earned. Please refer to the following link for tax rates for Working Holiday Maker: ATO Tax Rates

  59. Adam says:


    I was an Australian resident living and working in Aus up until Dec 1 2016 but then my status changed and I made a permanent move overseas. I am uncertain as to what answer I should provide to the residency question on the tax return. The Australian income I earned was during the time I was a resident so part of me wants to Answer “yes” to the residency test however then again for the financial year I was technically a resident for less than 183 days. Hopefully I don’t miss out on the tax free threshold / lower bracket. Please advise.

  60. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Adam,

    Based on what you have provided above, you are considered a foreign resident for tax purposes. You may use the ATO Residency Tool to confirm. Thank you.

  61. Darren says:

    If I holding 417 visa to Australia as a working holiday maker and work continuously the same job at one place which I rent for more than six months. Will I be assessed as a resident for tax purposes ? Or I will be a non-resident just because I’m a 417 visa holder ?

  62. Tax Advisor says:

    Hello Darren,

    You would be considered a Non-Resident because you do not intend to make Australia your permanent home, not simply because you hold a 417 Visa. There are circumstances that can qualify you for residency if you intend to make Australia your permanent home: Residency – Working Holiday or Visit

  63. Sharat says:


    I migrated to Australia from India in August 2016 and obtained PR in April 2017. I don’t have any income earned in Australia in 2016/17. Do I need to file my tax return reporting global income?

    Thank you.

  64. Drew says:

    Hi there,

    I run an online business (content writing) in New Zealand and I’m planning to sell my services online to clients in Australia. I do not intend to visit Australia. If I get an Australian bank account opened and get my Australian clients to pay me for my services via direct bank deposit to that account, would I need to pay tax to ATO on the income received in that account? Or can I just continue paying my taxes in New Zealand?

  65. Tax Advisor says:

    According to the ATO, your income must be declared on your return, but you may be eligible to a income tax offset for taxes paid in another country.

  66. Tax Advisor says:

    According to the ATO this is dependent on various qualities of your business as well as whether or not New Zealand has an agreement with Australia pertaining to foreign business income.

    It may be best to consult with a local accountant, you can also contact us at P 1300 ELODGE (356 343) for more assistance.

  67. Rahul says:


    I lived in Australia on 457 visa from 2006-2008 and left oz. My wife is an Australian citizen and we lived in Singapore since 2009. I received a permanent spouse visa in 2013 but continued to live in Singapore. My wife moved to Australia during 2014 and 2015 to spend more time with her family as we’re overseas for long and I continued to live in Singapore and visited her. She moved back in 2016 to Singapore. We plan to move back to Australia in 2018. Would I be considered a tax resident from the time I recieved the permanent residency though australia was not my home?

  68. Tax Advisor says:

    You may want to consult with a local tax account regarding your special tax situation or feel free to give one of our tax agents a call.

Leave a Reply