Tag: australian tax

Posts Tagged ‘australian tax’

The News on the GST on Low Value Goods

What is the GST?

The ATO has announced a new tax law on the goods and services tax (GST) before the 2018 tax season. You may be wondering, what is the GST? The GST is a tax of 10% on most goods, services and other items sold or consumed in Australia.

New Tax Law

From 1 July 2018, the GST will affect businesses that sell low-value goods who import to consumers in Australia. Low-value goods have a customs value of A$1,000 or less when the price is under the agreement with the customer. However, any tobacco products or alcoholic beverages do not have the GST tax since they will be charged at the border.

Here’s the breakdown of the changes.

Read the rest of this entry »

Hobby vs Business: What is the Difference?

Everyone enjoys a good hobby.

From photography, scrap-booking, cooking or even horseback riding, each of these hobbies can turn into a business. With that in mind, when it comes time to lodge your tax return, your hobby could possibly be your business. Taxpayers get confused about whether or not they should be reporting their hobby as a business. Of course, you want to avoid being penalised if you’re not declaring income to the ATO, right?

Find out if your hobby is actually a business by reading below!

What is a hobby?

Read the rest of this entry »

Accommodation Allowances & Your Taxes

Traveling for work? Deduct your accommodation costs!

Are you missing out on your friend’s barbie to travel for work? No doubt, we know that work can be a drag if you have to travel, especially if it isn’t for vacation time. On the other hand, you could enjoy being pampered for a few days and get away from home. Luckily, whether you enjoy traveling for work or not, you can deduct most of your accommodation costs on your tax return if you are responsible for all of your up-front business trip costs.

Let’s take a look if you’re eligible to deduct these expenses and how to do it.


Did your employer issue you a travel allowance?

First, if your employer issues you a travel allowance for accommodations, you need to report it as income on your tax return. In other words, you do not need to declare the allowance on your taxes if:

  • The travel allowance is not on your payment summary.
  • The allowance is a deductible accommodation cost.
  • You can count meal and incidental expenses.

So, if it’s not included as income, then you can’t report it. It’s as simple as that! 


Follow this 6 Rule Checklist:

Read the rest of this entry »

New 2017 Australian Tax Offsets!

Tax offsets are coupons from the ATO.

When we go grocery shopping, it makes sense to bring as many coupons as we can to lower how much we pay. Wouldn’t it be great if we could do the same for our taxes? Well, you can! Tax offsets are coupons from the ATO since they help to lower the amount you owe to the ATO. You might be able to qualify for more than one offset. Let us help you lower your tax due and determine which tax offsets are beneficial to you.


How do I qualify for an offset?

Read the rest of this entry »

Backpacker’s Guide to Australian Tax

You’re a backpacker. That puts you somewhere between a tourist and a…resident?

Actually, yes. The Australian Tax Office may consider you an Australian resident for tax purposes under certain circumstances. As a backpacker, there are some other things you should know as well that could affect your tax return. We know you’re out and about so let’s not waste time getting down to the most frequently asked questions.


Are you a resident for tax purposes?

This sounds like a trick question. You don’t have a permanent residence here. Your family doesn’t necessarily live here. You left your dog with your mom when you came here. However, when it comes to taxes, residency is based on what you do while you’re touring the country. As a resident, you are able to lodge a tax return and claim tax back. If you are deemed a nonresident, then you are not eligible for a refund.

Generally speaking, the ATO considers you a resident for tax purposes if ANY of the following applies:

  • You have always lived in Australia.
  • You moved to Australia and live here permanently.
  • You have been in Australia for at least six months, and for most of the time, you have been working the same job and living at the same place.
  • You have been in Australia for more than half of the financial year, unless your usual home is overseas and you do not intend to live in Australia.

Read the rest of this entry »

Who Can Receive Disability Support Pension Payments?

If you received disability support pension in 2013-2014, you’ll need to report it on a 2014 tax return.

Do you, a friend or a family member have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition? If so, you most likely know  the importance of receiving financial support.

There’s bills to pay, food to buy, and fees that go along with medicine and treatment. Without being able to work, how can these items be paid for?

Luckily, the Australian Government offers financial support to those with disabilities via the Centrelink Disability Support Pension.

Keep in mind if you or someone you know receives this payment, it must be reported on an Australian tax return.

What Is Disability Support Pension?

Disability Support Pension is financial support for people who cannot work  because they are limited by any of the following;

  • a physical condition
  • a intellectual condition
  • a psychiatric condition
  • permanent blindness

Read the rest of this entry »

How To Claim Widow Allowance as a Senior Australian

In order to claim the Widow Allowance you must have been born on or before 1 July 1955

If you’ve experienced the loss of a loved one, then you know first hand how difficult it can be. Not only emotionally, but in some cases, financially.

More specifically, losing your spouse can be devastating.

If you have in fact lost your spouse,  you may qualify to receive Centrelink Widow Allowance  payments.

Keep in mind, you’ll need to report any payments received from Centrelink on your Australian tax return. Before doing so, click the link below to find out if you’re eligible to save $10 on your 2014 Tax Return;

How To Save $10 While On Centrelink

What is the Widow Allowance?

As described on the Australian Government Human Services website, the Widow Allowance offers financial help to women born on or before 1 July 1955 with no recent workforce experience that have become widowed, divorced or separated since turning 40.

Who Qualifies to Receive the Widow Allowance?

Read the rest of this entry »

How to Save $10 As a Backpacker in Australia

Are you a backpacker in Australia? Here’s how to save $10 with E-Lodge!

A wise man once said “Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious.”

As a backpacker, your life is a model of these words.

You’re an explorer, adventurer and always ready for a new adventure. Most importantly, you have no qualms or fear of the unknown. We want to reward this fearless attitude.

How to Lodge an Australian Tax Return As a Non-Resident

While backpacking through Australia, you may have experienced a few must-do-Australian activities like;

  • surfing the Gold Coast
  • diving in the Great Barrier Reef
  • sailing to the Whitsundays

To cover the costs of these Australian adventures,  you may have been forced to work a few side jobs while backpacking. If so, you’ll need to report this income on an Australian tax return. Read the rest of this entry »

Use Our E-Lodge Coupon Code if You Receive Newstart Allowance

Receive the Newstart Allowance? We want to help too.

If you are eligible and currently receive the Newstart Allowance, we have a special discount for you: take $5 off your E-Lodge tax return preparation fees!

Newstart Blog Coupon

We understand that looking for a new job can be tough. We wanted to reward you even further for sticking it out and continuing on your job search.


To use your E-Lodge coupon code today and save on your 2015 tax return preparation fee, follow these three steps;

  1. Create an E-Lodge account.
  2. Enter your information into the tax application and select your payment option.
  3. On the Payment Summary Page, enter the coupon code NEWSTART5 and click Submit.


Newstart Allowance Eligibility Criteria

The Newstart Allowance is designed for unemployed Australians to receive  payments from the Australian government agency known as Centrelink .

Read the rest of this entry »

Used E-Tax in the Past? Try E-Lodge for your 2017 Taxes

Did you lodge with E-Tax prior year? If so, do you remember how much time you spent reporting your tax information?

One hour, two hours or maybe even the majority of your day? We’re sorry to hear you ended up wasting time that you’ll never get back.

We wouldn’t want you to make the same mistake twice. Instead, we want to offer you a better way to lodge your taxes. 

We Understand Doing Taxes Isn’t Fun

Let’s be honest…

  1. doing taxes isn’t fun
  2. your time is limited

So why spend unnecessary amounts of time lodging with a tax site that leaves you feeling frustrated and confused?

Although the law requires you to report your income, the law doesn’t require you to use the same tax service year after year. That means, you can learn from the past and choose a faster, more “user-friendly” online tax service this year. Read the rest of this entry »